Friday, September 10, 2021

IT IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATE

 IT IS LIKE A BOX OF CHOCOLATE,  

SEPTEMBER 9 - OCTOBER 15

I have been making prints since 1978. I love drawing and painting. Painting is very difficult for me; I will labor over a painting for weeks and still not be satisfied. It has never come easy, and that is one of the reasons I love it, it challenges me. Drawing has always been easier for me. As a teen, I learned scrimshaw (engraving whale teeth). I spent summers selling my artwork on Nantucket. The building in which I worked was part of the Moby Dick legacy. George Pollard, the Captain of the Essex tragedy once own the building, Herman Melville visited Captain Pollard in that very building while crafting his epic novel Moby Dick.  

I suppose Printmaking was a natural transition for me. I honed my skills as a teen engraving whaling scenes, printmaking was the perfect marriage of those engraving skills with the love of drawing and painting.

After all these years I still get excited by pulling a nice print. It is always a surprise; I never know what I will get. It is like a Box of Chocolates.

My show at Valencia College was an honor. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all gallery shows went virtual since March 2021. I was honored to be the first in-person show since the pandemic. No offense to virtual art galleries, but NOTHING can compare to seeing artwork live.

Carley Frank and her team did an incredible job curating, hanging, and lighting the show. I gave her much more artwork than needed for this show. I hadn’t been in the gallery in years and wasn’t sure how much space there was, so I brought it all. She skillfully selected a wonderful show.

Here are some photos and videos from the evening























2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely show! I hope people can take advantage to come out an enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete